Saturday, August 15, 2009

Filipino cooking - Chicken and Pork Adobo

Let me share with you how to cook a popular Filipino dish. Every household in the Philippines enjoy this dish very much and it's so easy to cook.

I will explain the steps involved but I will not be so specific with measurements as most will depend on your own liking, how salty , sourly or peppery you want it to be. There are several versions of preparing adobo . Some like the dry version where the gravy is simmer ed till almost dry and the meat has absorbed most of the flavors coming from the garlic, vinegar and soy sauce. I particularly like the wet type with a bit of gravy left. The gravy is so tasty especially when mixed with steamed rice,


The ingredients are :

Pork , cut into cubes
Chicken , cut into bite size pieces or bigger if you wish
Black pepper
Vinegar ( balsamic vinegar is best )
Soy sauce ( dark)
Garlic , whole clove , peeled and minced
Pinch of salt
Vegetable oil ( about 3 tablespoons)
Bay leaf ( can substitute rosemary also)
Note : ratio of vinegar to soy sauce is 1:3 . For every 1 measure of vinegar, add 3 similar amounts of soy sauce. Quantity varies, have just enough to cover the meat.


How to cook the adobo.

Heat the pan and saute the garlic till fragrant but not burned.
Add the meat ( pork and chicken) and stir fry for about 10 minutes. Add a bit more oil if it is too dry.
Add soy sauce ( 3 parts ) + vinegar (1 part) + a bit of water.
Sprinkle black pepper, (I like to put a lot of it ) and add 1 bay leaf for fragrance.
Let simmer till chicken and pork is tender and cooked.
Add water bit by bit if the mixture becomes too dry. Use medium heat and stir occasionally.
When chicken and pork are tender and cooked, taste and add a pinch of salt if needed.
Be careful not to add too much salt as soy sauce makes it salty already.
Let it continue cooking at low heat (about 5 minutes more) till gravy becomes thickened but not dry. Remove from heat. Serve with steamed rice.


I hope you will like this recipe, Try it and you'll be amazed at the taste of Adobo!
Truly, this is a simple dish to prepare and especially when you don't have ingredients, you will need garlic only and since your cupboard is stocked with vinegar, soy sauce , pepper... there is always this bright idea to be able to convert the pork or chicken in the freezer into a quick lunch or dinner dish everyone will love. Let me know if you like it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making this recipe very delicious. I hope that I can cook this easily same with my recipe for stir fry sauce. I have some recipe here that I want to share but I don't know how to start.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Friendly with warm personality

Followers